Monday, September 21, 2009

The Start of the Journey

I didn't suddenly get up one day and decide I wanted to write, nor was I a writer from the time I was a kid. I was a mid to late bloomer as some may call it.

In high school I enjoyed film-lit class (one of the few) it allowed me to see movies I'd never normally watch, but also I had to write reports on the film. I didn't like the writing part so much, but I learned.

It wasn't until the year after I graduated high school that I discovered reading for pleasure. I was visiting my sister, babysitting her kids, and there was nothing on TV but a political convention. I started scanning my sister's bookshelves, not much there, but there were a couple of Harlequin romance books.

I picked on up, it sounded interesting, sat down and started to read. My discover of romance started. Luckily for me, I was driving back from my sister's home and stopped to visit my cousin, who happened to own a used book store.

Jackpot. I filled up three boxes of books, all sorts of book. Harlequin, Historical and Science Fiction. I quickly discovered I really liked romance books, science fiction had a little too much science in it (at that time it did.)

Soon I'd devoured all the books I'd brought home with me and I found, at that time, the chain stores didn't carry Harlequin books but only the Historical's. And the romance sections were very small. Since I was working, I found a small drug store, which carried romances on those old metal round racks.

I knew every month what day I could go and pick up Harlequin Romance and Harlequin Presents books. In the mean time, I found a couple of used bookstores where I could get older Harlequin books, and Historicals.

After reading for a couple of years and being lucky enough to go to a luncheon put on by Harlequin in my hometown, I decided to put pen to paper.

At the time I started writing, word processers were just starting to come out, and there were no computers. I wrote my first book long hand, and then typed it up using an old electric typewriter. Even now I hate to think of how many typos were in that first manuscript.

I finished it up, and shipped it off to Harlequin in London. I was already working full time so I wasn't worried about quitting my day job, but it was a dream.

6 comments:

Rose Lerma said...

Marie,

I'm so glad I found this blog at the 'Start.' Looking forward to your 'Journey' to publication. How often do you plan to post an update? Don't want to miss a single one.

Thanks for sharing,
Rose

Marie Tuhart said...

Hi Rose,

Due to schedule constraints, I am able to update my blog once a week, every Monday morning there will be a new blog post.

Glad you're enjoying my blog.

Marie

Lia Slater said...

What a great idea, Marie. I look forward to reading more about your journey!

Helen Hardt said...

Welcome to blogging, Marie!

Isabel said...

Congrats on your first sale, Marie! I'll be here on Mondays to follow your journey. :)

Nia said...

Hi Marie,

Love your blog and following your journey, which has certainly taken an exciting turn of late! Can't wait to read more...

Nia