Monday, May 17, 2010

Spark Your Creativity

How do you spark your creativity?

There have been times in my life where I haven't felt like writing, I don't call it writers block, because it's not really a block. It's a time when I haven't felt creative, and when I think back to those times, I think about what I've done to become creative once again.

Most of the time I start reading, there's nothing like reading to help your mind get back to wanting to create your own characters and story.

Other times, I've given myself permission not to write. I let myself play on-line games, watch TV or a movie, or simply sit around and do nothing.

I need that break, I need to let my mind relax and settle down before that creative spark comes flying back demanding me to sit down at the computer and type.

I've also realized my creativity can be sparked by being excited about writing the next scene in my book or a character suddenly coming to life.

A few weeks ago, I was in this creative slump, I gave myself permission that I would only write one page a day. The minute I did that the pressure was off, and I wrote anywhere from one to fifteen pages in a day.

Anything can spark your creativity, it's learning to recognize it, and know when you need to let your creativity have a break.

1 comment:

Helen Hardt said...

Reading works well for me most of the time. I've been looking for my muse for the past several months, and it dawned on me recently that I haven't been reading. So I need to tackle my huge TBR pile!