Monday, September 19, 2011

Guest Today: Katherine Grey


Today my guest is Katherine Grey. Welcome Katherine, glad to have you here.

Tell us a little about yourself:

I was born and have lived in upstate NY my entire life, though as the years go by, I hate the NY winters that seem to last eight months out of the year more and more. I’ve always had a vivid imagination and loved books from a very early age. As I grew older, I found myself reimagining books and movies with endings I wanted, rather than they way they really were. These daydreams soon led me to start putting pen to paper and writing my own stories. Please come and learn more about me at my blog. http://katherinegrey.blogspot.com


What do you like the most and the least about writing?

I love the heady feeling of getting those initial first pages down of a new story. I also love when the characters start taking on lives of their own, taking me down paths I hadn’t originally intended for them. (Okay, sometimes I hate this too.) What I like least is revision even though I do at least two revisions per manuscript. Sometimes, I can get too caught up in rewriting a scene, trying to follow all those “rules” that are drilled in your head when you’re first starting out and end up feeling like I’ve revised the life right out of it.

Give us a peek into your latest published work:

Impetuous is a historical romance set in the Regency period. It’s my debut novel and was released through The Wild Rose Press on August 26th.

Here’s the blurb:

Mateo de Montayas, an impoverished Spanish count, comes to England to recover a stolen family heirloom and to satisfy his hunger for revenge against the man who destroyed his family. Arriving in London, he learns his hated enemy died three years before but has left behind a daughter. What better way to retrieve the heirloom and exact revenge than to use her to his advantage?

Teresa Darlington will do anything to keep scandal away from her frail mother and prove her father wasn't a thief, even risk her reputation in a race to find the missing heirloom before the Count does. But she didn't count on falling in love with the man determined to ruin her family. Can she find the heirloom before he does and protect her family, or will her heart lead her in a different direction?

What’s next on the writing horizon for you?

I currently have a novella involving a secondary character from Impetuous under consideration with The Wild Rose Press. I’m working on two separate writing projects right now. One is another historical romance and the other set in the present day so it’s easy to switch from one manuscript to the other.

Is there anything you want to tell readers?

I try to encourage readers to give new authors a try (and not just because I am one.) I’ve read some really great books written by first time authors who have gone on to achieve great things. I’d also like to thank everyone for their support.

Excerpt:

This is a short scene from the beginning of the book.

With hatred running hot and molten through his veins, Mateo de Montayas stared at the stately mansion across the street. The windows were aglow with light. Laughter and music spilled out to fill the night air. He shifted position under the shadowy oak tree hoping to catch sight of his quarry. The high and mighty English baronet who celebrated inside had destroyed his family.

Mateo slipped the miniature portrait from his breast pocket. A thin leather cord wrapped around his fingers as he gazed into the eyes of the laughing beauty pictured there.

“I couldn’t help you then...” The pain of failure threatened to overwhelm him. He shoved it down, deep down into a dark place in his soul. He took a deep breath, fighting the anger that rose within. “I will make him pay for your death.” His fingers closed around the small oval. “I swear it, Madre. I swear it.”

Links:

Here are the links to purchase Impetuous.

The Wild Rose Press click here

Amazon click here

Barnes & Noble click here

Thank you, Marie for having me. It’s been a pleasure visiting with you.


5 comments:

Beth Trissel said...

Hello Katherine! Congrats on your recent release. I love historicals and Impetuous sounds like a book I would enjoy. I also have similar thoughts and feelings about the writing process. I will definitely go pop into your blog.

Katherine said...

Hi Beth,

While some days it really is a process, fighting for every word, I love writing more than anything else, except maybe reading. I hope you enjoy Impetuous. Thanks for the congratulations. Having my book published by The Wild Rose Press has been an awesome experience.

Kellie Kamryn said...

Nice interview! That is what I love about writing - that I get an idea and then my characters take me on an adventure as I write their story. Great excerpt. I wish you all the best with your writing :)

Katherine said...

Hi Kellie,

While I work from a very loose outline consisting of a few paragraphs for an entire book, I think having the freedom to go down paths the characters choose make my books better. Thanks for the good wishes. :o)

Katherine said...

Marie,

Thank you again for the great interview and for having me as your guest.

I had a great time. :o)