Monday, August 5, 2019

Guest post: The Rebound Effect by Linda Griffin

My guest today is Linda Griffin talking about her book: The Rebound Effect






Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m a native of San Diego and have a BA in English from San Diego State University and an MLS from UCLA. I retired as fiction librarian for the San Diego Public Library to spend more time on my writing. My stories have been published in numerous literary journals, including The Binnacle , Eclectica, Orbis, and The Nassau Review, and The Rebound Effect is my second romance from The Wild Rose Press.

What do like the most and the least about writing?


I love it when the glimmers are flowing and my characters talk to me. I also enjoy the editing process and working with my wonderful editor, Nancy Swanson, at the Wild Rose Press. 

I’m not good at promotion and sometimes feel as if my head is spinning with all the details to keep track of. 

Give us a peek into your latest published work?
In the small town of Cougar, struggling single mother and veterinary assistant Teresa Lansing is still bruised from a failed relationship when Frank McAllister sweeps her off her feet. 

Frank is a big-city SWAT officer who moved to Cougar only four months ago. He's handsome, charming, forceful, very sexy, and a bit mysterious. He had his eye on Teresa even before they met and is pushing for a serious relationship right away. 

Teresa finds his intense courtship flattering, and the sex is fabulous, but she doesn't want her deaf six-year-old son to be hurt again. Her former fiancé cheated on her when he got drunk after being unjustly fired, but he loves her and her son, and the whirlwind romance is complicated by his efforts to win Teresa back. And then there's the matter of the bodies buried at Big Devil Creek…

What’s next on the writing horizon for you?

I hope it will be Guilty Knowledge, a police procedural/interracial romance. 


Is there anything you want to tell readers?
Although The Rebound Effect is entirely fictional, Teresa is more like me than of my other characters, from her T-shirts to her religious philosophy. Frank is named after a real person, but in such a roundabout way that I don’t think anybody will guess. All of the scenes on the coast are based on places on the Oregon Coat that I visited while writing it. I had great fun renaming them, the most obvious being fictionalizing Florence as Genoa. 

Excerpt:

She reached inside the robe to rub his shoulders. She was feeling something new now, something tender, loving, intimate, possessive. She kissed him. She wanted to give in to this sense of well-being, of the inevitability of a future together, of love, but wasn’t it too soon? 

“Teresa,” he said, again as if her name was a special endearment. “I want to sleep with you. I want to hold you all night.” 

“It sounds very romantic,” she said, “but what if I snore? What if I need you to let me breathe a little?”

“Breathing is overrated. I never want to let go of you again.” He kissed her, and then he lifted her in his arms. It had never happened to her before—Gene hadn’t even carried her across the threshold on their wedding night. 

“Frank!” she cried, laughing, but a little scared—what if he dropped her? He was strong, but she wasn’t very light. He didn’t drop her—or he did, but deliberately, from about an inch above the cool, clean sheets of his bed. They were both laughing, and he started kissing her randomly, here and there. This can be a lot of fun, she told herself. Enjoy it while it lasts. “Remember when you asked if it was too soon for me to date?” she asked.

“Yeah, and you said it depended on the definition.”

“It turns out it was too soon,” she said, “and now it’s too late.” 






6 comments:

D. V. STONE said...

Best luck with your book

linda griffin said...

Thankyou!

Sandra Dailey said...

I loved the excerpt. It gives a great example of your writing voice without revealing the best parts of the book. It also shows a lot about your character, Teresa. It's all I need to know to want the book. Good luck, Linda.

Linda Griffin said...

Thank you, Sandra. That means a lot, coming from you.

Sadira Stone said...

Best of luck with your new book baby, Linda!

Linda Griffin said...

Thank you, Sadira!