Saturday, November 14, 2009

Getting There

While the editor I'd talked to rejected the book, I was on the right track for them, the rejection letter told me I was, and only this book wasn't the right book. Okay, than meant going back to the drawing board and figuring out another book for them.

My writing time was being impacted by the move of my day job, now instead of having a commute of maybe 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night, I now had a 2 hour a day commute. And because I work very early hours, that meant getting up at 4 a.m. and not getting home until after 3 p.m. in the afternoon.

I had to find a way to write. I tried writing on the train ride, it didn't work. I thought back to when I first started writing and asked myself how could I write so much then and not so much now.

It just so happened I had signed up for an on-line class given by Margie Lawson called Self-Defeating Behaviors. And all I can say now, is I'm very glad I did.

The class helped me not only identify where my time was going, but helped me realize what was holding me back.

With my newfound knowledge and a plan in place, I was able to start writing more again. Maybe not as much in the beginning, but I was learning that I didn't need every word perfect the first time I wrote it, I could go back and edit it.

I had to make the time to write, no one was going to do it for me. If I wanted to do this as a second career I had to put in more time to it.

I started limiting my Internet and email time, I started writing on my lunch time at work, I started writing on weekends. I also bought an Alpha Smart which I could carry with me.

A year later, I had two completed manuscripts.

Continuing the journey next Monday

No comments: