Friday, December 17, 2010

Guest: Jenna Howard


I'm thrilled to have Jenna Howard on my blog today to celebrate her release Spurred On

Tell us a little about yourself:


Let's see. I'm a Canadian girl. I'm a single gal. Oh if only my personal life were as successful as my books. I'm the proud Aunt of two nephews who my everything.

I'm coming off a five year hiatus. The words dried up when my dad died. Truthfully, I dried up. Then last year I found myself opening up old Word files, reading old releases and I realized how much I missed writing. Coming back has been a gruelling battle because I kept telling myself "It wasn't this hard 5 years ago." and "Five years ago I was good…what's all this crap??"

I've always written, always created stories. The first story I manufactured was in grade one when I told a friend we were moving to Japan. I didn't even know where Japan was but I convinced her. It took awhile for me to find erotic romance. My best friend (the no longer writing) Kate Lang was on confined to bed with her pregnancy and both of us were having a hard time with our writing (recovering from two equally horrific romantic comedies) when she found Ellora's Cave and called me up: "We can totally write this." We read a few stories and yes…we could totally write this. Once I found erotic-romance everything just fit. The characters, the wicked wicked sex, and the utter freedom of writing what I was supposed to be writing, not what others thought I should.

That was the lesson I learned with attempting writing series romances and (gag) romantic comedy - write what fits you and it will all come together. You'll no longer feel like you suck as a writer. Once you find where your words fit…man…it's the best high.

What do like the most and the least about writing?

It's all co-related for me. I've forgotten how much I love writing since I stopped five years ago after my dad's death. The words seemed so unimportant then. It's the voices, you know? The ones that awaken and say "Have I got a story for you." The entire process has a love-hate thing for me. I love the words, I hate I jump the plot shark. I love when it works. I hate when it works because then I have to stop writing because the reality of my job beckons or I can't sleep because those damn voices in my head. I love the fear of submitting. I hate the waiting. I love it all - even the parts I hate. I just love this job. Period.

Give us a peek into your latest published work?

Country singer and secret Domme Jessa Brody is home to perform at the Calgary Stampede and to brainstorm some new songs for her next album. Sexy bronc rider Luke O'Connor is once again the perfect inspiration for her songs and naughty dreams. Strong, brave and handsome, he's man enough to submit to her wildest desires. But can she handle the responsibilities that go hand in hand with being a good Domme, or will she lose herself --and Luke--when Spurred On?

What’s next on the writing horizon for you?

I have a submission in at Liquid Silver Books right now. A hockey player who's found himself attracted to his best friend's older sister. I'm working on Jessa's best friend, Robin's story also. So many irons in the fire.

Is there anything you want to tell readers?

Buy my book? *grin* No seriously…buy my book.

Excerpt for Spurred on:

“Oh, he’s a love.” Standing up, she walked over to the horse and leaned against him. “Aren’t you?” She stroked the horse’s back, loving the curve and muscles.

Luke’s gaze followed her hand.

That’s right, I could be stroking you like this.

Jessa gave the muscular rump a sharp slap and Luke’s nostrils flared. Her body hummed. She handed him the guitar then hopped onto the gate. Swinging her legs over, she jumped down.

“See, the secret to Crow is simple.” Finally, she faced Luke.

He tried to look casual and unaffected but she didn’t believe the act. Luke held himself still—wary yet curious, curious but wary.

“He’s all tough and shit until you set the rules. A little knee in the belly as you tighten the cinch. Sure, he’ll buck.” When she leaned against Luke, his breath sucked in audibly. “But you ride him hard until he knows who holds the reins.” She licked along his jaw and cupped the thick bulge beneath the faded denim and squeezed. “Giddy up,” she whispered in his ear.

Every inch of his six feet shuddered. There was something potent in making the strong tremble. She took her guitar from him. “You look good, Luke,” she called as she walked out of the stable.

Holy hell, her nipples throbbed and her pussy ached. She’d also die before admitting that inside she was bouncing around like a teenage girl yelling, “He’s here! He’s here!”

Would Luke still buck her control?

Thanks for being with us today, Jenna.

11 comments:

Marie Tuhart said...

I'm glad to have Jenna here today celebrating her release. Jenna will pop in later in the day when she gets off from the day job.

Becca Dale said...

Hot excerpt, Jenna. Not usually a huge fan of female dominance, but this sounds seriously yummy. Heck, I want to dominate him. ;-D

Very nice interview too. Glad to get to know a fellow TWRP author a bit.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

As always Jenn you prove why you're a brazen hussy. So glad you're back in the saddle again.

Holy

Anonymous said...

Marie & Michael, thanks Hussies. The support of the Hussie is, as always, awesome.

Thanks Becca, I'm not usually a Femme Domme fan either but imagine my surprise when Jessa really really wanted to tie up Luke.

Okay...now I really need to go to work or I'll be late and Christmas shoppers wait for no one...not even authors on their release day.

Sloane Taylor said...

Glad you decided to return to writing, Jenna. You have a unique voice and it should be heard.

Spurred On will make a great Christmas gift for my Kindle friends.:)

Anonymous said...

Cool interview, Jenna! Love the excerpt!
Sorry about your dad. I had no idea he passed. Glad you are in the writing saddle again. :-)

Huggers!
jan

Yasmine Phoenix said...

Glad to have hussy Jenna back and writing even more. Now I want a horse.

Darah Lace said...

Hot, hot, hot! Congrats on your release day! Wishing you many sales!

Anonymous said...

Sloane, you make me blush, lady. You really do. Don't forget to buy a copy for yourself!

Jan it was a few years ago. Glad to be back in the saddle.

Yasmine - save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Thanks, Darah!

Yasmine Phoenix said...

Yeah Baby

Anonymous said...

Marie, thanks for giving me space on your blog. I can't think of a better place to begin the return.