Monday, April 9, 2012

Back to the Writers Journey


I know the last few blog post haven't been up to my normal standard, today I'm getting back into talking about the writers journey.

Since I was first offered a contract in August 2009, things seems to have moved at lightening speed.  My first book was released in Jan 2010, then the next two books in Feb. 2011 and June 2011, now my latest release was out in March 2012.

Since the first book release I've learned a lot.  Dealing with social networking (facebook and twitter), promotion material, doing promotional mailings, setting up a mailing list, a newsletter list, making sure my website is updated, blogging not only my blog but a group blog as well, and probably several other things I'm not thinking of right now.  Oh, and writing the new books.

It's been quite a balancing act, because I work a full time job outside of writing my books, my writing happens at night and on weekends.  Of course, there's family to deal with, the housework, laundry, grocery shopping, extended family, and more and more. 

I'm usually pretty organized but in the last few months I haven't been as organized as I usually am.  I had to sit down and figure out what.  Mainly because this year has been a different year for me, let me explain.  I made the decision in January that I would leave the day job at the end of April.

This is a life changing event, while I will still have an income, it will not be what it was, but this means I will be able to write full time which is something I've always wanted to do.  Along with leaving the day job, it also means changing where I live.

So I will also be moving to a new home this year and because of my mom's health, she will be living with me.  This takes me in a totally new direction because I will be cleaning out her home so she can sell it and moving her in with me.

This will take place over several months.  The fun thing is in my new home I will have a home office.  It won't be the guest bedroom anymore but an actual office.  I can't wait.  I'm working on training myself now that when I sit down at the computer that means work, not play. 

I'd like to know any organization tips or moving tips that you may have?  I'm going to need all the help I can get.


No comments: