Thursday, June 4, 2020

Guest Blog: Sea Salt Lavender for Aphrodite by Julie Howard

Today my guest is Julie Howard talking about her newest release: Sea Salt Lavender for Aphrodite (PS. I love the dog on the cover)




Tell us a little about yourself.

I’ve always been a writer. My day job was as a journalist, a career I thoroughly enjoyed as it allowed me to write nearly every single day. I learned a lot about people in this job and some of that informs my fiction. I was fortunate enough to leave my day job to write fiction full time several years ago, and I’ve never looked back. Sea Salt Lavender for Aphrodite is my sixth book with The Wild Rose Press, and I have several more books in various stages of development.

What do like the most and the least about writing?

Oh, I love almost everything about writing! I suppose the best part is diving into other worlds, ones I get to create. It’s the same reason, really, that I love to read. I enjoy learning about other places and people through the books I read; writing is very similar.

I suppose the least favorite is on the marketing side. I am very grateful that readers enjoy my books, but I don’t enjoy wearing a “saleswoman” hat.

Give us a peek into your latest published work?

Rosella Rivers enjoys the perfect life, loving her new ice cream food truck business featuring exotic flavors. But her beach view parking space is not so lovable when she finds an acquaintance stabbed to death in the boardwalk bathroom.

Detective Mark Pruitt knows murder is bad for small-town Olympus Bay. He must find the suspect before he strikes again. When he first sets eyes on Rosella, the only witness, he is smitten. However, there's no time for romance when danger lurks. 

Together he and the lovely ice cream maker must discover the killer before he turns his sight on Rosella.

What’s next on the writing horizon for you?

My current work in progress is the third book in my Spirited Quest mysteries. These books center around ghost blogger Jillian Winchester, who travels the world seeking out ghosts and then writing about them. This third book will catapult Jillian back in time to the 1870s. Not only does she have to figure out a way to return to the present, but she discovers she has been brought to the past for a particular reason. She has to solve this mystery before she will be able to return.

I’ve always wanted to write a time travel book and I really love how this one is shaping up!

Is there anything you want to tell readers?

As I said above, I am so very grateful readers enjoy my books. It makes my day when I see a new review pop up – and, yes, I read and appreciate all of them. Readers spend their money and time on my novels and my goal is to sweep them away into another world. I want them to feel what I experience when I read a really good book.


Excerpt:

The echo of a drip-drip-drip resonated from within. Rosella glanced around, wishing a man would pass by, someone she could send inside on her behalf. On this side of the structure, though, the beachfront was hidden from view and the building backed by sand dunes. Unless someone needed to use the facilities, they wouldn’t approach. 


“Mick?” 


A distant chime from the town clock made her heart sink. Ten a.m. Opening time. She had to get back to her truck. A fresh round of anxious yips sounded. She 
scooted to the corner of the building and peeked toward 
her truck. Aphrodite stood at attention, straining at the 
leash. The dog barked twice at spotting her and renewed efforts to break free of the tether.

She returned to the doorway. “Mick, I’m just going 
to step inside since I’m a little bit worried, just to make sure you’re okay. Let me know if I shouldn’t come in.” No response sounded. “All right, coming in.”

The odor hit her first. Heavy, sweet, sickening. Then her eyes registered the scene. Mick lay face down in the middle of the tile floor, a steady stream of deep red blood winding its way toward a drain. 




Buy Links:



Social media links:





No comments: