Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Guest Post: To Heal a Heart by Jana Richards

Today I get to welcome Jana Richards talking about her new release To Heal a Heart.




Tell us a little about yourself:

I write primarily contemporary romance, though I have written romantic suspense and historicals set during World War Two as well. Lately, I’ve been gravitating toward small town romance. That’s probably because I come from a rural and small town background and I feel like I understand the people who live there.

I work part-time as a bookkeeper for a veterinary medical association, which is a dog-friendly office. Back in the good old days (pre-pandemic) I looked forward to seeing my colleagues and their dogs. I live in western Canada with my husband Warren, and we have two grown daughters.

What do like the most and the least about writing?

I love creating worlds, right down to the little details, and then creating characters to live in those worlds. That’s the fun part, even though it’s hard work and takes a lot of time. My least favorite thing about writing is the marketing I need to do so that readers can learn about my work; I can write the best book in the world, but if no one knows about it, it won’t get read. Like most writers, I’d rather be writing than marketing. But I know it’s a necessary part of the job. I’m trying to change my mindset about marketing so that I view it as a creative endeavor rather than unwelcome work. We’ll see if I succeed at that!

Give us a peek into your latest published work? 

My new book, TO HEAL A HEART, released on June 15, 2020. It’s book 2 in my Masonville series of small-town romances. 

Here’s the blurb:
Garrett Saunders' world changed two years ago on a road in Afghanistan. Back home, he feels like a stranger. As he struggles to find his place in the world, he meets a horse destined for the slaughterhouse and a woman bent on rescuing the strays of the world, including him.

Blair Greyson moves to Masonville to look after her ailing grandfather and give her rescue horses a home. Right away she butts heads with a surly former Marine. Despite a rocky start, they come to an agreement: Blair will board Garrett's rescue horse and he'll help with repairs around her farm.
Garrett finds purpose working with Blair—and falls in love with her. But she's hiding a secret. Can she forgive herself and accept Garrett's love, or will she let guilt and regret continue to rule her life?

What’s next on the writing horizon for you?

I’m currently working on book 3 in the series, which I’m calling “Unexpected”. Blair’s brother Ben moves to Masonville with his two stepdaughters to get out of the city and be closer to family. But mostly he’s trying to run away from the threat of losing his children when their grandparents sue for custody. Jamie Garven wants a family and children and marrying Ben may be her only chance. Ben believes that the children’s grandparents will be more willing to let him raise them if they have both a mother and a father. Will their gamble pay off or will falling love ruin everything?

Is there anything you want to tell readers?

I’d like to tell readers that I’d love to connect with them. Subscribe to my newsletter to find out about new releases, sales, and contests, along with what I’m writing now and things going on in my life. Every once in a while I’ll hold a contest exclusively for newsletter subscribers. Join here: https://www.janarichards.com/contact.html#newsletter


Excerpt:

“Do you remember the last summer I saw you, just before I joined the Marines? Your brothers were both working for the summer, so you came out to your grandparents’ farm on your own.”

Blair’s face grew hot at the memory. She pulled his shirt from his jeans and laid her palm against the warm, hard muscles of his abdomen. “You mean the summer I threw myself at you and you totally rejected me? No, I barely remember that at all.”

He chuckled as he pushed her shirt off her shoulders. “I was sorely tempted that summer. There you were, prancing around in your short shorts and bikini top, working in your grandmother’s garden while I mowed the lawns. You must have known you were driving me crazy.”

Actually, she hadn’t known. He’d done a great job of ignoring her and making her believe she was nothing but a nuisance. She looked up at him, tilting her head to one side. “If you were so tempted, why did you tell me to take a hike when I tried to seduce you?”

“You were fifteen, Blair. Three years younger than me and just a kid. If you’d known what I wanted to do with you…” His unfinished sentence shimmered between them.

He was such an honorable man. He hadn’t wanted to take advantage of a young girl with a case of raging hormones and too little sense. A girl who believed her only worth was in what her body could give to a boy.

“Perhaps you can show me now.” Blair slowly lowered the zipper of his pants. “I’m not a kid anymore.”











No comments: