Monday, January 4, 2010

Goals for the New Year

It's a new Year and I already have so many things to do.

Have you set your goals for the year?

I have, I do this every year on New Year's Day. I write out my goals for the year, print them out and put them in my writing binder. At the end of the year I pull them out to see what I can check off as accomplished.

It doesn't matter if I acoomplished one item or all items, it shows I'm committed to my writing and have set time aside for it.

Last year I had 14 items on my list, I completed 10 of them. The other 4 I wasn't able to complete. The one item that was not on my list was To Sell A Book. I added that to my list of accomplishments.

There is a reason I didn't put To Sell A Book on my goal list, that is because goals have to be realistic and reasonable. I can't guess when I'm going to sell a book, it all depends on the publisher and what they're looking for.

I'm very grateful that The Wild Rose Press offered me a contract and bought my first book. The sale came about because one of my goals was to submit to different publishers, The Wild Rose Press being one of them.

I'm looking forward to this year. A few of my writing goals for this year are:

  1. Write a novella and submit it by end of March
  2. Write a second novella and submit by end of June
  3. Write a novella/novel and submit by end of year

Continuing the journey next Monday

4 comments:

Cari Quinn said...

Best of luck with your 2010 goals! 2009 was a good year for both of us. Let's hope this year brings more of the same!

Marie Tuhart said...

Hi Cari,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, 2009 was a good year, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2010 is a great year for both of us.

Anonymous said...

Hm...looks like you can write that novella in February. ;)

Tory Richards said...

Sounds like you have it all worked out Marie. Good luck!

I've just written my first novella and submitted it. My plans are to write a couple more this year.