Monday, February 1, 2010

Writing the Next Book

One would think this would get easier, but in some ways it's not.

While I had already had another book underway for The Wild Rose Press, I set it aside in December and started a different book.

This new book is stretching myself as a writer, I wrote the rough draft very quickly, almost 40,000 words in 4 weeks. For me this is fast. But the words flowed from the page. When I finished the rough draft, I realized that one the book is too long (I haven't written the last chapter yet), and there are lots of areas where I can make cuts.

Plus the big one was there was no emotional conflict between the characters. Opps, how did I miss that?

Now I'm editing/re-writing the story and it's slow going. But this week I'm determined to make a dent into it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did that. Perhaps not 40,000 words in 4 weeks (huzzah to you!) but I wrote my book really fast then when I read through it I realized I needed to fatten it up a bit but the bones were there.

Thank the creative pen I didn't have to take away any words.

Now that would make me cry.

Happy editing!