Monday, June 25, 2012

Writing Schedule and Goals

I have to admit life has been interfering with my writing and everything else over the past few months.  I retired from the day job at the end of April and since then it's been hard to get into a new schedule.  It was amazing, when I had the day job I got far more done than being retired.

Now that a few things have calmed down in my life a bit, I'm determined to get back on schedule.  And I'd thought I'd review goal setting.

I started out writing out the next few months on paper, because for me I have to balance writing and packing up a house to move to my new home two states away, plus there is critique group meetings, book club meetings, RWA meetings and the RWA National conference.

So what did I do:


  1. I looked at each day individually
  2. Wrote down what needed to be done that day
  3. Scheduled my time for example: get up at 7 a.m., write 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., pack up house 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 3 p.m. set up for next day
  4. I also put in any doctor appointments, grocery shopping, laundry, anything that will take time away from what needs to be done
  5. I didn't overload my days
  6. Took every Sunday off
  7. Took a few other days off when I knew I'd need a break

It's going to take some time to get into this new schedule, but I'm determined to do it.  I have deadlines for books, plus a deadline to be moved out of my current home so it can be placed on the market and into my new home.

I'm taking small steps, making the goals small and measurable.  I have my critique group who will keep me accountable for my writing. I have to keep myself accountable for the packing.

I'm going to work hard on this new schedule, because if I don't write then I don't get paid.  Writing is now my full time job, so that means its time to buckle down and write.

Have a great week.  

No comments: