Monday, January 14, 2013

When Characters Take Over

I've been hard at work in this last week working on my new Work In Progress (WIP).  It was slow starting and I couldn't figure out what to do.  I had a goal of how many pages I wanted to get written because this book needs to be done in a certain amount of time.

Finally about Wednesday the words started flowing and I was moving along at a good pace, making my word count every day.  On Saturday I realized why I was moving so quickly, my male characters had taken over the story.

Yes, male characters.  I'm trying my hand at writing a committed menage story.  I love the characters and the story itself.  But this week, my hero's took over.  I just let them tell me what they want me to write and I write it.

I know it sounds strange, but I've found over the years that I do my best writing this way.  When my characters really begin to talk to me and take over, then the words flow and I learn all sorts of interesting details in their lives that I didn't know.

I'll see over the next week how this all plays out, but so far, I'm pushing my own boundaries as a writer and loving every minute of it.

I'm sure you have a favorite character, from a book, a movie or a TV show. Let me know who or what it is?

Marie

4 comments:

Nia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Interesting process, Marie. My best stories start that way then the characters stop talking and make me plot. Then they come back and dig their little heels in if they don't want to go the way of the plot. They are absolugte brats. I don't know where they get it from. ;)

My favorite character is from the TV show that shares the title of your first (fabulous) book. Mary. She is a total brat while totally competent.

Anonymous said...

PS TV show is In Plain Sight.

Isabel said...

Hi Marie!

You do not know how much I'm looking forward to this new book!
Now that your schedule is set, you've have a goal in mind, this book will get done!

Since I don't watch that much TV in general (save for a handful of shows when they come in season), I don't know if I have a particular character I absolutely love. :/
Some of my favorites shows though, are Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Being Human (USA), and Game of Thrones.
Looking back at that list I think that's all I watch or being watching lately. :)