Monday, April 11, 2016

BDSM Writer's Con Everett WA

What a conference.  I had a great time at the BDSM Writer's Con in Everett.  This wasn't my first time at this conference.  I went to the one in New York in 2014.  Luckily the Everett conference was right in my back yard so to speak – an hour and a half drive from where I live, much better than flying across country.

Those who did fly cross country, you have my admiration and those who came even further (there were a few) I bow down to your moxie in taking this step.

The Everett conference was great for this writer.  I met new people, reconnected with some friends, and learned a lot.

Now I'm a pretty introverted person, and those of you who know me stop laughing.  It's true.  Once I get to know someone it's not so bad.  So for me to put myself out there at a conference is a frightening experience.

I write what I call, light BDSM, there is always some element of BDSM in my books.  I enjoy writing it.  But I do want to be true to the lifestyle, so I continue my education into the lifestyle.  As a writer its research.

Well each day of the conference brought new understand and learning.  All the presenters I was able to see taught me something knew or made me understand a part of the lifestyle I didn't understand before.

But Saturday night was the big night.  A dungeon was being brought to the hotel.  Now I've been to BDSM clubs before, some of them not so nice, and some of them very nice.  So I was really interested in seeing how this would turn out.

It was great.  All those wonderful people in the lifestyle arranged the dungeon and made it a worthwhile experience.  From suspension, flogging, whips, violet wand, and canes.  Everyone was open and friendly.  They answered questions, were willing to demonstrate on willing participants, and it was fun and exciting.

We also had an area where we could just sit and talk (in another room) not only with our fellow attendees but those from the dungeon. 

Sunday morning was the closing ceremonies' and the book signing. 


I'm still processing all that I learned and experienced during the conference. But if there is another West Coast BDSM Writer's Con I'll be there.

2 comments:

nicci_carrera said...

Fascinating! I think it's awesome you research all of these things. I think the key is when you are focused on an area of writing you can go deep with the research. I love your books, they are intense.

nicci_carrera said...

PS I tagged you for a fun blog post which you can do or not! Or...I'm about to.