Thursday, August 11, 2011

Special Guest: Dr. Charley Ferrer





Today, I'm please to have as my special guest sexologist Dr. Charley Ferrer.


The origins of BDSM FOR WRITERS is actually a funny story and shows how the Universe works in mysterious ways. First I have to say, I never thought to write a book on BDSM much less one for authors. I actually found myself hyperventilating when I started writing the book. I was so nervous writing for you all (authors), I got major writers block. I mean, you’re the ones I go to for romance and fantasies. Even with seven books on sexuality and self-empowerment and having won an award for Best Self-Help book under my belt, I still trembled when I sat down to write BDSM FOR WRITERS.

Believe it or not, BDSM FOR WRITERS and BDSM THE NAKED TRUTH are here because I read a romance novel. Yep, it’s true. I was reading Joey W. Hill, The Vampire Queen’s Servant, and feel in love with the characters and the writing. It was the first BDSM book I read that actually depicted the lovingly respectful and erotic connection that is at the heart of a Dominance and submission relationship. When I contacted Joey to share how “disappointed I was to learn she was a woman because I wanted to kidnap Jacob, the lead male character in the book”, she chuckled and graciously agreed to appear on my TV show instead since she was attending the Authors After Dark 2011 event hosted by Stella Price in New Jersey and would be in my area.

Stella Price graciously allowed us to film at her AAD Conference and even asked if I’d sit in on the BDSM Panelthey were conducting to help normalize this uniquely erotic and misunderstood lifestyle. After the panel I was asked if I’d consider writing a book on BDSM for authors. Five months later, I not only completed BDSM FOR WRITERS but BDSM THE NAKED TRUTH a slightly different version for the general public.

When you stop and think about it, both these books owe their creation to a romance novel! It’s mind boggling when you stop and consider how an author’s words, may affect another’s life and how that life will affect so many others.

I am self-publishing these books as I refused to have the valuable information contained within them censored in anyway. And though this caused a little delay in getting the books out, they are now available and completely uncensored. They even have surprise forward and dedication for Joey W. Hill, Viola Johnson, and Catherine Gross.

It’s my hope that BDSM FOR WRITERS and BDSM THE NAKED TRUTH opens the door to a greater understanding of the world of dominance and submission and dispels many of the misconceptions perpetuated by Hollywood and novelist who don’t have a full understanding of the respect, affection, and love many in this uniquely erotic lifestyle/orientation share.

Plus I wanted to share that with every book sold $1 will be donated to NCSF (National Coalition for Sexual Freedom) and the Carter Johnson Leather Library; two organizations that work hard at safeguarding our sexual freedom and our sexual expression. And the first 300 people to purchase a copy of my books will receive a $500 Digital Erotic Art collection from Captured Erotica and be entered to win 35 kinky prizes and one mundane one—a Kindle. My way of saying thanks!

I want to thank you all for stopping by and leaving a comment or asking a question. I also want to thank Marie for graciously hosting me on her website.

Live with passion,

Dr. Charley Ferrer

You can find Dr. Charley at:


Thank you for being here today, Dr. Charley and giving us insight to the world of BDSM. I can highly recommend Dr. Charley's books for the writer and for those just interested understanding the BDSM lifestyle.

5 comments:

nicci_carrera said...

Hi Dr. Charley and Marie,

This is a very interesting topic and I'm excited to learn more from your books. I am a big fan of Marie Tuhart, whose books were my first exposure to the wilder side of romantic fantasy!

I found your journey very interesting and it's good to know there are some romances out there that were well enough researched to inspire you to write your books.

Best of luck to you and thanks for all the prizes!

Nicci

Isabel said...

Hi Dr. Charley,

Wonderful post! I've heard the very best things about your writer classes and your new books. I'm delighted you muscled through writer's block and got the books written.

I'll definitely be checking the books and your website. :)

Marie Tuhart said...

Nicci,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message. Yes, I do agree, it's wonderful when authors research their topics well. I know Marie does and her amazing stories are the better for it. I'm looking a curling up with one of her books this weekend...Roped and Ready...mmm love cowboys. smiles.

Live with passion,
Dr. Charley Ferrer

Marie Tuhart said...

Hi Isabel:
Thank you for the kind words and letting me know people are talking. I too am pleased to get over my writer's block and I think BDSM FOR WRITERS is great-yet I'm bias so you'll have to tell me what you think. Look forward to seeing you at one of the writer's classes. And I promised to get the word out that there's four classes I'm doing "for free" during the Savvy Author's Summer Symposium that are going to be lots of fun. These aren't on BDSM they're more about psychology like: Criminal Minds, Fetishes, Psychology of abuse victims & PTSD, even Latina Heroines so it'll be great research information for writers dealing with those issues in their novels. Love, conflict, a little therapy-what more could you want? *smiles*

Live with passion,
Dr. Charley Ferrer

Marie Tuhart said...

Thanks Marie for getting those posted for me, I've been having problems with Blogger for past two days. I'm so please everyone is coming by to look even if they don't leave messages/comments. Or maybe blogger is stopping them too. *smiles*

Thanks again for having me here.

Live with passion,

Dr. Charley Ferrer