Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Guest blog: Tena Stetler



Today Tena Stetler is my guest she's talking about her new release, plus letting us know about her hero and heroine.  Welcome Tena.


Hero: Lathen Quartz walks in with a wolf pup beside him. “This is Tonk, he’s a wolf pup that was injured in Arcadia National Park.  His injuries were so severe that he’ll never be released into the wild, so he helps out at Lobster Cove Wildlife Rescue and Rehab.  He’s my shadow. I hope you don’t mind he came along.”
No. no. not at all.

Tells us about the real you—  I was raised in Alaska by my father, the pack alpha along with my brother.  My mom died in childbirth. My father never remarried, until recently.  But that’s a whole different story. I’d built a wall around myself after being kicked out of the pack for dangerous behavior after being injured when my team was ambushed and a bomb when off on assignment. I drifted around for a couple years and found a home in Lobster Cove.  The people there were understanding and embraced my talents.  By this time, the chip on my shoulder was lessening and I became more confident in who and what I was.

What event in your past has left the most indelible impression on you? The attack on my SEAL team and my subsequent medical discharge from the military.

What do you most value? Family and friendships.  My relationship with Pepper above all.  She made me whole again.

What is the type of woman you want to spend the rest of your life with? Strong, confident, knows what she wants and goes after it.  No holds barred.

What do you consider most important in life? Family and friendships.  I had to learn that the hard way.

What is your biggest secret? Now if I told you, it wouldn’t  be a secret any more.  Would it?

Heroine:  Pepper McKay bounced in with a big furry black dog trotting at her side. “I brought Ember along, I hope you don’t mind.  She was my first rescue in Lobster Cove. Ember enjoys getting out once in a while and always minds her manners.” She gave Lathen and Tonk a sideways glance. “Unlike other’s I know.” Pepper giggled.  “Besides, her and Tonk jumped in the truck as we got ready to do.  Didn’t have the heart to make them stay home.”
“Not a problem.”

Who are you really? I’m dedicated to the rehabilitation of wildlife and have been since a teenager.  Second I am a witch with reservations.  If magic can go wrong in my hands, it will. I was bad at relationships… until Lathen.  He changed everything.

Who were the biggest role models in your life? My mom, dad and Aunt Ashling.  She’s the one who taught me the love of wildlife and the necessity to protect it. The summers I spent with her at Lobster Cove were the happiest of my life.  She paid my way through college when I wanted to be a marine biologist.  Mom wasn’t so happy at that or my chosen profession.

What kind of man do you want to spend the rest of your life with?   A man who knows his heart, is understanding and isn’t afraid to show it.  Tough when he as to be but compassionate when required and with a strong moral compass. You know what I mean? Lathen had it all.  At least in my eyes.

What kind of man would you never choose?  A narcissistic ego manic, I’ve dated a few of those.  My choice in men wasn’t the best before I moved to Lobster Cove.

What is most important to you in life? Family, good friends and wildlife.

What is your biggest fear? Making a decision that might cost a creature its life.  I couldn’t live with myself. I think that is why I always double check myself and value other professional’s opinions, before taking action.

Author, Tell us a little about writing this story.  Was it fun or difficult?  I really enjoyed writing this story.  I loved all the characters and the setting. Do your characters always act as you expect? Heavens no. Sometimes I think they act just the opposite to show me who’s in control.  I’m happy to report we usually reach a compromise. Are you a plotter, or fly (write) by the seat of your pants? Oh, a panster definitely.  I tried an outline once and missed every point on the list except one. What a waste of time for me.  I realize it works well for others, but me, not so much. LOL

Let me tell you a bit about my newest release, A Witch’s Journey:

Pepper McKay comes from a long line of powerful witches. Unfortunately, magic brings her nothing but trouble. She learned the love of wildlife rescue and rehab from her Aunt Ashling. After graduating from college, Pepper works for Salem Wildlife Sanctuary and lives from paycheck to paycheck until she inherits the McKay property in Lobster Cove. With the family land and resources, she dares to dream of starting her own wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center.
Lathen Quartz, a former Navy SEAL turned handyman maintains the enchanted McKay property for the McKay estate. But someone is trying to steal the McKay magic. Lathen offers to help Pepper achieve her life-long dream of building a wildlife center. During the long hours spent together on the project, their mutual attraction can’t be denied. But each harbors a deep, dark secret. Will they overcome their demons and give love a chance?

A Sneak peek into the book:
Pepper hopped out of the truck and took a deep breath. The ocean breeze brought a mixed scent of brine, sand, sun and kelp. Seabirds whistled and screeched through the air diving into the white crested waves, proudly emerging with dinner. Turning her attention to the land, she noticed beyond the barn, the pond was still there, even a bit bigger than she remembered. Caught up in the smells, sights, and sounds, she didn't hear someone approach.
"Ms. McKay?"
"Sssshit," she yelped and whirled around to see a muscular man, well over six feet, with surfer blond hair nearly to his shoulders, tousled by the ocean breeze. Rounding the corner of the cabin, he waved at her as he approached walking with a slight limp. Deeply tanned, he appeared to spend a lot of time outdoors.
"I'm Lathen Quartz. Glad you made it before dark. The road up here can be treacherous after dark if you don't know where you're going.  I finished up the enclosed aviary and was getting ready to leave. But now that you're here, I'd be happy to show you around. Help you get settled."
"Pepper McKay, call me Pepper." Extending her hand towards him, she met his gaze. His large aquamarine eyes were mesmerizing, set above the high cheekbones, full lips and a butterscotch five o'clock shadow. She gave her head a shake. "Wait. You built an aviary?"
He shook her hand and smiled, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans and rocking back on his heels.

Amazon:  http://amzn.com/B01F0LRJ7U     
ibooks/itune’s link https://itun.es/us/AviCcb.l
https://itunes.apple.com/book/isbn9781509208210
Author Bio:
Tena Stetler is a paranormal romance and cozy mystery author with an over-active imagination.  She wrote her first vampire romance as a tween, to the chagrin of her mother and the delight of her friends. With the Rocky Mountains outside her window, Tena sits at her computer surrounded by a wide array of paranormal creatures telling her their tales. Colorado is her home; shared with her husband of many moons, a brilliant Chow Chow, a spoiled parrot and a forty-year-old box turtle.  Any winter evening, you can find her curled up in front of a crackling fire with a good book, a mug of hot chocolate and a big bowl of popcorn.  During the summer you can find her cozied up around a campfire with a good book.
Contact Information:
Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/TenaStetler      
Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/tenastetler/


8 comments:

Tena Stetler said...

Good Morning everyone. Hey Marie, thanks so much for hosting me and my characters from A Witch's Journey!

Sandra Dailey said...

Your characters sound interesting Tena. Good luck with A Witch's Journey.

Tena Stetler said...

Thanks so much Sandra! Have a great day!

Nightingale said...

I've visited a couple of your blogs about this book, Tena, and it only gets more and more interesting. I wish you every success!

Tena Stetler said...

Thank you Linda for visiting the blogs. I really appreciate it. Interest is what I am after as we all are. LOL

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

Intriguing Tena I love character interviews.

Tena Stetler said...

Thanks for stopping by Charlotte. I too love doing character interviews as well as reading them. They create an interesting view point to the story, don't you think?

Ilona Fridl said...

Loved the interview! I can relate to being a pantser. One story, I didn't know who the killer was till the end. It kept changing on me.